Saturday, November 25, 2017

The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi


17586458


















GENRE: LGBTQ, Coming of Age

This book reminded me, in the beginning at least, of the movie But I'm A Cheerleader.  Just this book wasn't a comedy. After Lexi's dad dies her mom finds out she is gay and sends her to a de gayifying program. Lexi goes along hoping not to lose her mom even if she has to lose herself.

This book made me mad. I enjoyed it but the fact that this REALLY does happen to kids is horrible. The growth we see Lexi have throughout the book is incredible. Unfortunately she has to go through so much emotional pain and self hating to get there.

I would recommend this book not only to any LGBTQ person but alsothose family that may not be so accepting.

No comments:

Post a Comment